View Single Post
Old 23.06.2008, 11:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Woodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with bike, I offer help with cars and computers!

This is why I hate Hayes brakes. The simplest tasks always end up far more complicated than necessary.

If the fluid came out of a small hole in the front of the caliper it sounds like a bleed should do the trick. If the fluid came out of anywhere else then the brakes need repairing which requires professional help.

Unfortunately I do not have the tools to bleed Hayes brakes. You will need a Hayes bleed kit http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=8384. You can use the little bottle in the kit, but it is better to replace it with a 50mm srynge. The critical part of this kit is the little black plastic nipple. Without that you cannot bleed a Hayes brake. This kit comes with brake fluid. You can also use any other Dot 4 brake fluid. Make sure that it is not more than a couple of months old and has been kept in a sealed container else it absorbs moisture and is useless. Dot 5.1 fluid is better.

Unfortunately my time is still very tight at the moment. You couldn't have chosen a worse time to ask for help from me. But get the bleed kit and give it a go. The process is pretty straightforward, but requires patience and persistence. Tips I remember:

- Tap the brake lines with a screwdriver to dislodge any air bubbles which my be trapped.
- Do not loosen the bleed valve too much else air can leak in there.

I learnt how to do this the same way as all my mates. Sitting in a shed and trying it, getting it wrong a few times, getting the hang of it, then getting the ****s after a year of this and buying a different brand of brakes.