View Single Post
Old 18.02.2016, 00:09
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 69 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,000 Times in 1,034 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
That is my understanding as well, although I wasn't born when it all happened. It seems to me that the original idea of the common market was great, but what we've ended up with is an undemocratic and unwieldy political union run by unelected and unaccountable idealogues for whom the EU is something of a vanity project. If Brexit is what would bring Brussels to its senses, then I'm all for it........
Agree with most of your post.

I somehow doubt that Mercedes and BMW (et al) will decide to stop selling their cars to the UK after a Brexit.

The unknowns for me are about things like property purchases. Not that I own any property outside the UK but I have often thought about buying a place in Spain or Germany. Would owners have the same protection as previously? Would there be punitive taxes?

Regarding employment I'd presume it's the same as now. I moved here with my company as there was no one locally available to do the job. That wouldn't change if the UK and or CH were in or out of the EU.

Re child benefit, no, my understanding is that they can't claim it twice but as UK CB is much higher than in some countries e.g. Poland, Romania etc, they can leave their kids behind but claim the UK level of CB to send home. Ethically dubious but all people must be treated the same so it's allowed.