View Single Post
Old 18.02.2016, 00:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 276 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 17,708 Times in 7,474 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
all about 2 things:

1. Free movement of people. Very few ordinary people worked outside the UK in those days so the idea seemed a bit remote, but we wouldn't need work permits if that chance ever arose. And no visas or much paperwork for holidays (though to be fair I can't recall if and when we ever needed a visa to travel around western Europe on holiday).

2. Free trade. No variable taxes or import/export duties. Sounded like a good thing.
I think a lot of people would want this leaner version of Europe.

I would agree to the EU 4 freedoms:

The free movement of goods.
The free movement of services and freedom of establishment.
The free movement of persons (and citizenship), including free movement of workers.
The free movement of capital.

And the necessary harmonisation that comes with a commitment to those 4 freedoms. (yes the anti-immigration crowd won't like it)

i would also support some kind of free trade agreement. whether as a simple free trade agreement or within the EU customs union should be up for analysis. perhaps being already in the customs union, the simplest would be the status quo.

but after that, i guess the real consideration is whether there is a huge difference between in/out at that stage.

perhaps a 2 speed europe may be the best option. just have 4 freedoms and customs union for those countries who want to be in what is primarily a trade bloc and a fast speed for those who want europe to be a federated states of europe.