Thread: Umberto Eco
View Single Post
Old 20.02.2016, 12:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,855 Times in 8,097 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Umberto Eco

Quote:
View Post
Loved him. A unique rebel and a lover all things cultural no matter how small or trivial.
Indeed.
He was a very complex writer and not always easy to read (although well worth the effort), but how deliciously funny, ironic and bitter on the same time in his articles on contemporary world's issues. Nothing was too insignificant for him, he was interested in everything. For those who didn't do it yet, I highly recommend one of his books which is actually a collection of articles published in the '80s in L'Espresso and gathered later on in the book "La bustina di Minerva" (I obviously read a translation of it and am sorry I don't know the name of it in English)
The last book that I read by him, not very long time ago, was History of beauty. It is the kind of book you always wish to come back to for one reference or another.
I avoid making lists with favourite books, but if I had to I would definitely add The name of the rose and Foucault's Pendulum.
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: