View Single Post
Old 02.03.2016, 23:01

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jot has a reputation beyond reputejot has a reputation beyond reputejot has a reputation beyond reputejot has a reputation beyond repute
Naturalization in Canton Zurich

Hi Camupa

We did the German test (KDE - Kantonaler Deutschtest im Einbürgerungsverfahren) as part of the ordinary naturalisation process in Stadt Zürich. It was very straightforward and set up to make sure you can survive everyday life. i.e. not looking for perfect grammar or to trip you up, but rather making sure you can function in everyday situations such as make a doctor's appointment, understand directions, read local event schedules, introduce yourself, and participate in a discussion on a topic familiar to you.

The level officially required is B1 speaking/listening and A2 reading/writing, if I remember right. The listening and reading parts were multiple choice, but I have no idea if that's a standard format for all test centres or not. One of the four listening exercises was Swiss German, the other three high German. For the spoken discussion it was left up to the candidate to choose if they preferred Swiss or high German.

We didn't have to do a Staatskunde exam in Zürich city, so I can't comment on that. Instead we had a face to face interview where they asked one or two knowledge questions in a roundabout way, but it was essentially a very congenial chat about who we are and why we wanted to become Swiss.

Previously I remember finding somewhere on the forum (or maybe it was Google?!) where someone had kindly posted a link or copy of a test from one of the smaller gemeindes (Birmensdorf rings a bell maybe?). Maybe have a search and you might get an idea of what such a test involves.

Good luck!

Last edited by jot; 02.03.2016 at 23:26.
The following 2 users would like to thank jot for this useful post: