View Single Post
Old 11.03.2016, 10:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 376 Times in 299 Posts
Thanked 17,042 Times in 7,028 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bulk buying Food in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Lidl sells chicken (and pork etc) from Germany, and from Switzerland. The Swiss stuff is smaller due to tight controls on growth and additives and has a Swiss flag on the packet.
Of course it is more expensive.

Migros sells Swiss chicken but also poultry products from Brazil and other places with more dubious farming methods than Germany.
You do need to check the packaging carefully as Migros are quite sneaky like that.
More Migros woes:

I normally avoid Migros like the plague unless there's something there I can't find elsewhere.

I bought some plain tomato sauce (sugo) there yesterday - It was the M-Budget one as I wanted plain tomato sauce without herbs etc in it. It comes in a cardboard carton. I didn't want to lug a glass bottle around either.

I usually buy the Lidl one which is plain, 99.5% tomato and pretty good and about 20 raps more than the Migros one. It's basically just pureed tomato.
There are no fresh tomatoes (worth eating at the moment).

Anyway, upon tipping the Migros one in a saucepan, it looked disgusting and jelly like. How much maize starch can Migros use, I thought?

The ingredients said 54% tomato. Which means 46% was a mixture of boiled cornstarch and water.

Truly disgusting and another reason why it's great to have foreign supermarkets to up the game (it's a pretty poor show when it needs to be places like Lidl that do that).

Anyway, anti-Migros rant over.
They did have lots of Kale though!
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post: