View Single Post
Old 17.04.2016, 17:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 263 Times in 226 Posts
Thanked 9,304 Times in 4,898 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
On TV they said the UK farmers today are really dependent on the EU farm subsidies. If Britain leaves, then the subsidy money will have to be found from somewhere, or the farms will go under faster than they are nowadays. Britain's farms are very efficient but the UK still needs to import about 40% of food, net. http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/uk.html

If the UK leaves the EU, it will need the supermarkets to start paying a fair price for the farm produce, so the food prices will likely rise by the equivalent loss of the EU farm subsidies.
I didn't check current figures, but last time I did I think the UK was a net payer to EU. If UK leaves those moneys are free to be distributed directly to, among others, UK farmers instead being distributed via Brussels.

Quote:
View Post
According to this report here UK farming would collapse after Brexit.
Currently UK farmers receive around euro 3bn from the EU which is 60% of their income.

It is not clearly stated anywhere if the UK Govt. would replace this subsidy.

If tariffs on imports were dropped then this would increase the financial pressure on UK farmers.
This seems quite alarmist - but hey, it's a good headline for the article, innit.

As the article itself states
"They [the UK farmers] would lose most of this [the 3bln in subsidies] at a stroke unless the British government guaranteed compensating support of one kind or another, and so far it has clarified nothing. "

Of course there would be compensatory reactions by UK government.