View Single Post
Old 17.04.2016, 18:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 355 Times in 270 Posts
Thanked 15,087 Times in 8,656 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I didn't check current figures, but last time I did I think the UK was a net payer to EU. If UK leaves those moneys are free to be distributed directly to, among others, UK farmers instead being distributed via Brussels.

This seems quite alarmist - but hey, it's a good headline for the article, innit.

As the article itself states
"They [the UK farmers] would lose most of this [the 3bln in subsidies] at a stroke unless the British government guaranteed compensating support of one kind or another, and so far it has clarified nothing. "

Of course there would be compensatory reactions by UK government.
Quite true Urs Max.

"The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2015 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.5 billion.

Each year the UK gets an instant discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth almost £5 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18 billion in contributions."

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

That £8.5 billion would more than cover any loss to farmers on leaving the EU.
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: