View Single Post
Old 18.04.2016, 19:04
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,710 Times in 10,985 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I Watched the first in this BBC series this morning (on iplayer) it covers how the joining of the EU came about and who said/did what.

I found it quite interesting, I had no idea how it all began and having watched I can see how we are perceived as being quite 'difficult' about being in the EU and how it does seem to be a 'them and us' sort of situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...n-island-apart
Thanks for the link, it's a real trip down memory lane!

My father was pretty much a lone campaigner against the Common Market for over 50 years until his death in 2013. He was a founder member & then Chairman of the Anti Common Market league for many years. His view on Europe was dynamically opposed from most of his best friends, he was Godfather to one of Geoffrey Howe's children who was about as pro Europe as you could get! He was also a Conservative counsellor who in 1973 went on BBC TV interviewed by Robin Day saying he would vote Labour at the General Election.

His views were in retrospect incredibly far sighted, it's very sad he died in 2013 before public opinion changed enough for a referendum.