View Single Post
Old 12.05.2016, 14:20
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Medea Fleecestealer Medea Fleecestealer is online now
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,875
Groaned at 397 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 16,828 Times in 9,492 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non EU with EU unmarried partner move to Zurich - Permit advice needed!

Welcome to the forum.

As you are unmarried then only the concubine permit would be possible.

First I'll try and help you be a bit less confused.

1. Dependent permit is just another name for any permit which is obtained via the main permit holder, be it through family reunification (if married) or concubine (unmarried). So your permit will be a dependent one, meaning that if your partner splits up with you or decides to move to another country you would either have to look for a job yourself (with all the non-EU hiring criteria hassle that brings) or move with them. Your permit will not be independent of theirs. Dependent permits apply to spouses/partners, children and in the case of EU/EFTA nationals can also apply to parents and grandparents if they move here and are dependent on the main permit holder to support them.

2. Family reunification doesn't apply as this is only for married couples/registered same-sex partnerships.

3. Concubine permit - the only one possible in your situation unless you get married or get your own independent permit, but that would be difficult depending on your qualifications/experience as far as non-EU hiring goes. Only a few cantons such as Geneva, Vaud, Zurich and Aargau I believe allow this type of permit. I don't know what Zurich's requirements are, but I assume they'll be similar to Vaud's which are in this link:

For this permit your partner will need to agree to be financially responsible for you for 5 years and probably will need to show either a work contract or sufficient savings that they can support you both for a few months while they job hunt plus evidence that the partnership is a long term, committed relationship and not just a ploy to get you into the country and obtain a permit. So it may be best for you to wait in your home country until your partner has a job and makes the application for the concubine permit on your behalf.

4. Type D visa - this is not a permit, but a visa which allows non-EU nationals to enter Switzerland long term legally, i.e. for more than 90 days. You would need one of these as you plan to live here. Yes you could risk coming here as a tourist, but a) your time may run out before the permit application is approved and b) Zurich are usually quite strict on people having the D visa when they arrive and not applying for it once they're here. They've been known to insist that you either go back to your home country to apply for the visa or at least go to another country and apply from there. Given that Switzerland is part of the Schengen Area if you come as a tourist and need to leave this would mean you'd have to go somewhere like the UK, Ireland, Belarus or the Ukraine as the nearest possible places to apply and wait for the visa. The visa would not be issued by the Swiss embassy/consulate in whichever country until the permit has been approved. Nor would you be able to return to Schegen for at least 90 days under the 90 days in, 90 days out rule. So you could find yourself not being able to be with your partner for 3 months if they can't manage to travel to visit you wherever you are.

Below is a link regarding co-habiting for unmarried couples which may be informative.

The non-EU hiring criteria is outlined here:

If you have a dependent's permit via an EU national then this is bypassed as your permit will effectively be an EU one allowing you to simply show your employment contract to the cantonal migration office to activate the work part of your permit. As said the downside is if the relationship breaks down, then any current employer would then have to go through the non-EU hiring process to get a new permit for you.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: