View Single Post
Old 14.05.2016, 23:21
RIP

Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
(heavily edited)
I've spent most of the last four days reading tons of material relating to the history of the EEC/EU... Now, there's simply no chance of my voting for the UK to stay in the EU. None at all.
Another worry is not simply to remain or to leave, it is the transitional period of at least 10 years, when new legal agreements & trade treaties are drawn up.
The negotiations for a deal between Canada and the EU have been ongoing for 10 years. Then all the EU countries will have to sign up to it or it dies.
Has anyone considered how long the UK will need to get back to the position it has today?
To throw away all the advantages for just 1.4% of the UK budget (I read the figure recently but I cannot find it again)
To start off from zero in a world where the USA and China are with the EU dominating everything.
The UK has few real friends in the world, most of the old empire have been let down by the UK and will not be very helpful.

Before Britain joined Europe, it was dying, it produced cars that nobody wanted, it had expensive coal and steel, and violent workers.
Without Europe, and European investment and treaties today, the UK doesn't look very attractive.
How are these new customers and allies going to be won over?
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post: