View Single Post
Old 21.05.2016, 13:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 205 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 7,065 Times in 3,152 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
This gives at least a taste: "Deserters are not welcomed with open arms," ​​European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said yesterday Friday in a newspaper interview to the address of the British. If the majority in the referendum on 23 June to decide on the withdrawal from the EU, will the United Kingdom to third countries with no claim to special treatment.
If the UK were to vote to leave, I would say there is a very high probability of this. Juncker is correct in saying that there will be very little goodwill towards the UK in negotiations, particularly as the benefits of such a deal with not be uniformly enjoyed by the member states. I would expect that eastern states will be under pressure to veto any deal that does not in some way benefit their citizens who have in the past moved to the UK or who were expecting to move there. Such a veto would simply lead to the two year period expiring without an deal. Furthermore with all the pressing issues facing the EU, I would expect that what happens to a former member state will rank fourth or fifth down the list of priorities.

As for the negotiations, I'd imagine the UK negotiation team will be presented with three options:
- Accept WTO trading rules
- Join the EEA
- Full membership of the EU
Which do you want??? Which clearly means there is only one option....