View Single Post
Old 24.05.2016, 17:50

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Cornetto is considered knowledgeableCornetto is considered knowledgeableCornetto is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Let me set this straight: if you guys (talking to the Brits now) vote to stay in the EU, can you please stop whining every time something happens?
Thanks in advance.
I appreciate you may have been only half serious, but more widely this sentiment needs to be taken seriously. This vote is being presented by the Remain campaign as a leap into the unknown vs. the status quo, probably because it's much easier to play on people's fear of the unknown than actually come up with positive arguments. However, a vote to Remain is not a vote for the status quo. We're told that staying in the EU allows us to reform it from within, but it's clear that the British idea of what the EU should look like is rather different from that held by most of Europe. In my opinion the EU would be even less receptive to British attempts at influencing its direction after a Remain vote, because they would just tell us we should have taken the opportunity to leave if we were really that unhappy.
This user would like to thank Cornetto for this useful post: