View Single Post
Old 01.06.2016, 12:14
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So you're pro electoral reform and pro EU, how does that work then? You're happy to be a member of an anti democratic organisation where your vote goes nowhere but want more say in the what goes on in the UK? It doesn't make sense.
Because I believe in a hell of a lot of what the EU stands for and why it came about in the first place. Reform can only come from within and isolationism doesn't work.

I remember the kick off in my house when the boundry changes happened in the UK back in the mid '70's. My parents were livid. This led me to the Liberal party because they were the only ones at the time who had PR as a main feature of their manifesto.

Just as an example, me and my mates (all originally from Wigan) had a massive thread going on fb last year about how many voters there were in each of our constituancies. My mate in Hertfordshire lived in a place with only 51k voters. My place in Windsor only had 57k voters, yet our home in Wigan had 87k voters per 1 MP seat. How can that be right, fair and just?

Quote:
View Post
Also, EU citizens have been sent polling cards despite not being eligible to vote.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...-polling-cards
That's the fault of the Department of Work & Pensions. They make errors with every election and need to get their act together.

In last year's General election, my OH was eligible to vote as a Commonwealth passport holder, living and working in the UK for a number of years. He got his polling card, but wasn't allowed to vote at the ballot box because DWP had only read the top line of his dual nationality details, and his other passport is Greek, which disqualified him from the vote as being an EU migrant. I was straight on the phone to the election services office in Windsor for clarification on that one.