View Single Post
Old 01.06.2016, 12:27
Forum Legend

Groaned at 108 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,456 Times in 2,754 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I watched the BBC documentary last night - in the end both sides of the debate present fudged figures and facts.

What is not clear is how it will work with UK citizens wanting to live / work in an EU country or EU citizens wanting to live in the UK.

For example my wife is a NL citizen. My son has dual NL/UK nationality - but I believe he would need to decide which nationality he wants to keep when he reaches 18 as the Netherlands don't accept dual nationality.

In theory after an "out" if we decided to move to the UK my wife would have to jump through a series of hoops in order to be allowed to live and work there. I would need to jump through several hoops if our situation was such that we had to move to the Netherlands.

In practice probably nothing would change overnight after an "out" and the longterm landscape would depend on exit negotiations.

For me the answers on these matters from the Outers is far too vague - because they just don't know / care.

One thing it has done is to get me moving on applying for Swiss naturalisation - I know they are not EU but I feel it would give us a little more security with the bilateral agreements being in place.

Cheers.
Nick

Quote:
View Post
We would discriminate against low-paid menial workers coming to the UK and undercutting wages, but likely not for skilled roles.

This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post: