View Single Post
Old 07.06.2016, 12:15
Forum Legend

Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,396 Times in 7,709 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
I'm not so sure about GOOG.
If AAPL is a one-trick pony (which they are often claimed to be, but which isn't really true), GOOG is in a much worse position.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...th-no-results/

IMO, they've nowhere to go but down, as their traditional business is eroded by Apps and portals like TFB (whose own raison d'Ítre isn't entirely clear to me either).
They're throwing a new piece of dirt to the wall every year in the hope that one will stick. None hasn't so far.

AAPL doesn't spend as much on acquisitions usually and also doesn't fubar them to such a degree.
The problem with GOOG is that it is run by engineers and puts too much focus on technology. They spectacularly fail to execute. So far they were lucky in that search was too good for even them to screw up.

AI and self-driving cars may also be too good for them to screw up. So it is a bit of a gamble, but hopefully they will get something else to stick to the wall. I also see that in years to come chromebooks will cannibalise a lot of windows market share.