View Single Post
Old 09.06.2016, 11:56
Forum Legend

Groaned at 283 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently

Quote:
View Post
Would one expect a Roman to learn Dacian and Lusitanian "just in case" he might be posted to one of those provinces?

When one speaks this century's dominant international language, how does one choose which language to learn next?
It is important to learn just the key languages - so Cornish, Welsh and Gaelic cover the British Isles adequately. I get by in the Middle East with Sumerian and some pretty rudimentary Assyrian.

Latin means I can muddle by in much of southern Europe - and made learning Romantsch a doddle when moving here. Further North I'm finding it harder and harder with my Frisian.

When dealing with the colonies I dabbled in Karkin - but I wouldn't call myself properly fluent. There were great nights spent in the pub quaffing back cold beers chatting in Gaffat - 18 words distinct words to describe the visual appearance of breasts. Damned if I can remember half of them now.

There is English, of course, both native and for foreigners - the latter is basically just normal English without the long words, spoken both louder and slower.

And Kensitanian - obviously.