View Single Post
Old 24.06.2016, 09:33
Only in moderation

Groaned at 247 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 15,949 Times in 6,595 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I'm not 100% sure that the UK will leave the European Union.

This referendum was non-binding, and the Leave camp hasn't exactly won a resounding mandate, given the slim margin of victory. Most MPs are against leaving. Many advisors and experts are cautioning against rapid action, suggesting that the UK not leave until the next general election is over (2020). That's four years away. In the intervening time, I suspect that Britons will take stock of their new life under the assumption that the UK will leave the EU -- sort of a "try before you buy" period -- and may well not find that everything is greener on the other side.

There may even be another referendum closer to the projected leaving date to confirm or set aside yesterday's decision. I don't think the Leavers can count their chickens yet.
The following 4 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post: