View Single Post
Old 24.06.2016, 15:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 67 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,907 Times in 1,007 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
...I just think that the EU will now play "wounded animal", lash out and walk away from negotiations. Threatening your negotiation partner is a clear sign of weakness - I see that in my boss every day. And without a strong position and good arguments, things fall apart quickly.
The EU as an institution can't "play wounded animal, lash out, and walk away". The simple fact is that it's in the interests of the EU as a whole to have a good relationship with the UK. I agree that there is no great incentive to offer the UK a wonderful deal in case it incentivises other nations to break away. But we are intelligent adults, friends and business partners, and we should all approach the challenge in a mature way.

Have we "threatened" the EU in any formal way? Plenty of individuals, including me and people more important than me, have been critical of what the EU has become, but the EU must take on board these criticisms. Throwing their toys out of the pram isn't going to solve the underlying issues.
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: