View Single Post
Old 27.06.2016, 14:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 446 Times in 384 Posts
Thanked 18,532 Times in 9,817 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes, it's a national vote (and actually, it IS first past the post -- there is no purer form than a simple binary contest like this), but there are two points: it's not legally binding (as I've said half a dozen times), which allows MPs to consider whether they want to represent their electorates or not. That's all.

I can well see a number of politicians in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland with an eye on a looming P45 voting against Brexit.
All true.
If we take Switzerland as an example then we have seen the EU take rapid action against Switzerland even though there was just an internal Swiss referendum and no formal actions by the Swiss Govt..
Consequently there is a precedent that the EU will also act against UK soon!

There have been posts here about whether or not the EU will treat UK badly in future negotiations; we are looking at the wrong opponent.
Myself I believe the big risk for us comes from EU countries who are facing demands for their own exits and want to make that look as unattractive as possible.