View Single Post
Old 29.06.2016, 18:48
Only in moderation

Groaned at 236 Times in 188 Posts
Thanked 14,553 Times in 6,000 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The croissant, as I'm sure you are aware, is a class marker, representing the metropolitan elite.
As you know, Uncle Max has been in Switzerland for yonks and is now third generation (at least) Swiss. Things are different here. The Gipfeli -- which is not a croissant, morning or otherwise (it's just not bendy enough) -- is no indicator of social class. It's consumed by everybody, from the roadworkers and forklift drivers with whom I share my CHF 5.75 Coop Restaurant breakfast deal many mornings to the suited pharma company executives and inter-city commuters (with whom I also share my Coop Gipfeli, Weggli and Schale).

I think all of those people in the café with me prefer their Gipfeli unbespittled.