View Single Post
Old 01.07.2016, 14:00
Forum Legend

Groaned at 265 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 10,452 Times in 5,584 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I'd say Castro, 15 years is too long to keep voting rights. Why should expats who will clearly not have to live with the consequences of their choices be given a voice- and then sit back and watch from afar? I would btw have had the right to vote in Switzerland all my life- but didn't because if you live abroad it's even harder to understand the issues and because of the above. There are 100000s os Swiss expats who have not visited her for decades, have forgotten how to speak their MT- with rose tinted glasses about Ye Olde Country- who vote every time. Some of them may have never visited even and just inherited their nationality- like some of my family in Argentina, the USA, Australia and Canada.
I think it depends or should depend on each country. I personally don't agree with having my voting rights taken away because I don't live where I'm from anymore so expect other people to think the same way. But one thing is certain, a vote for Brexit won't fix whatever goes wrong in the expats' lives here.