View Single Post
Old 01.07.2016, 19:20
RIP

Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
In general- the FPP system is not democratic- and neither is a non elected chamber- but perhaps not relevant to this thread- so let's stick to this Referendum.

Maybe the limit should be 5 years rather than 15. Just asking the question here- and the point is that many people are too disconnected from the UK and won't be affected by the consequences of their vote.

Now- warning- he swears a lot- but Jonathan does cut to the chase here.
:

https://www.facebook.com/RTUKnews/vi...5038167786060/
While I find that video entertaining (perhaps because I agree with some of what he says), I have to ask: Where were these people before the vote? The referendum is a done deal. The only thing that might be called for is a recount - why is it that I haven't heard any calls for a recount?

Could it be that demanding a recount is seen as too American, could it be that nobody anywhere on the Island has any doubt as to the veracity of the voting process?

I submit to you that there is a good chance that if there was a call for a recount, and if ballots with reproductive organs drawn on them were to be counted as valid (on the condition that they have only one "x", in one box or the other), then the numbers would turn out even worse.

If your argument that expats who have been away for too long are too disconnected, why should we then consider the disenfranchised anatomical doodlers as somehow more connected?

Do you think that one group of disenfranchised is preferable to some other?