View Single Post
Old 02.07.2016, 10:43
RIP

Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
And sitting here in the comfort of our mountains, watching the charts- and for some making quite a few bob too, because disasters always benefit some - it might be too easy to forget what is happening now in the UK. Despair for some, distrust, and a massive rise in racist attacks as Farage and the results have given their hatred legitimacy. Something broke in Great Britain the other day- that may never be mended. If you don't believe that, and think the FTSE will make it all better- then I despair a bit more.
Odile,

The other day I watched an episode of "Life on the Dole" or something like that. It dealt specifically with disputes and difficulties arising between landlords and tenants on the dole. On the one hand I was disturbed to see how some people who apparently require medical help in an assisted living environment live, on the other I was impressed at how even handed and patient the landlords agent was.

However, what caused a feeling of revulsion was that they showed a couple of property owners whinging because they had invested in a property, sight unseen, hired a service to ensure their dealings with the tenants were arms length, and appeared to think that they had some sort of a right to make a profit, and that something needed to be done to protect their rights.

I spent a bit of time reading the war poets yesterday, and thinking of how the wrong people always end up paying the bill for the folly of the system.

I may not agree with every point you raise, but I submit to you that our sentiments are not much different.