View Single Post
Old 15.07.2016, 13:57
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,451 Times in 867 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
May's cabinet better unveil their concrete proposal for a post Brexit UK soon, even if it involves biting the bullet and going to WTO rules, if they aren't willing to accept the freedom of movement provisions that will come with EEA membership. In this case, no news is worse than bad news.
In difficult situations, the last thing we need is panicky, hasty decision making.

The concrete proposal for post-Brexit is well known, and has been well known for a long time. The concrete proposal is to hold negotiations with the EU. We can't make detailed proposals for exact terms until after preliminary talks have been held to see the lay of the land.

I agree with Mrs Merkel, who appealed to her EU colleagues for "a silent summer" to allow emotions to subside and to create a period of reflection. This is perfect advice. In the meantime, it's EU business as usual. I'm not aware of anything pressing on the table that involves the UK. It's all Eurozone stuff with the Italian and Greek financial crises, plus the migrant resettlement issue that the UK is exempt from.

Seriously, there is nothing to be gained by jumping in with both feet. Already, I can sense emotions settling a little, with a number of senior EU politicians in recent days offering conciliatory remarks on the way forward. Some countries, notably France and Italy, want to take a punitive line for understandable reasons of self-interest. France in particular, where only 35% actively support the EU according to the recent Reuters survey, is terrified that anti-EU feeling will get out of hand, so needs to wave the big stick "pour encourager les autres". Totally understandable but it's another reason to insist on a period of calm reflection.