View Single Post
Old 22.07.2016, 10:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 244 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 8,900 Times in 4,655 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freedom of Movement for EU nationals: should the Swiss bend the knee?

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss already know the full consequences. Am I the only one who realises that if the people of Switzerland really wanted to vote on this issue again there would have been popular initiatives for signing to try and get another referendum on the subject? Has this happened? No. Not once in the 3 years since the vote was taken. Why? Because that's what the Swiss people want. The Swiss people knew, the Swiss people voted, now the government has to implement their decision. End of story.
Sorry to say so, but you're wrong. RASA

And no, contrary to what you say it doesn't seem at all to be what the majority wants if representative polls are even remotely reliable, since after the vote they consistently show a 2/3 majority to prioritize the Bilaterals over word-for-word implementation of MEI if necessary. Initiatives to join EU have consistently been refused (two I if memory serves), the Bilaterale have just as consistently been voted yes on with zero No to five Yes (Bilaterale 1 in 2000, participation in Schengen/Dublin in 2005, extension of FMOP to the new EU members in 2005, financial support for the new eastern European members in 2006, keep FMOP and extend it to Bulgaria+Rumania in 2009).

One of the issues with the RASA Initiative though is that it won't be voted on for multiple years, whereas MEI is to be implemented by next february.

In my mind the implementation should be postponed until after the vote because everything else simply creates a back-forth-back-forth lawgiving process, but that's just me.
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post: