View Single Post
Old 26.07.2016, 00:21

Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
TerryEntoure is considered knowledgeableTerryEntoure is considered knowledgeableTerryEntoure is considered knowledgeable
Re: Freedom of Movement for EU nationals: should the Swiss bend the knee?

Quote:
View Post
Germany had it coming, when it made the ECB follow a monetary policy 100% aligned to its own needs and interests. The result was that everybody in Southern Europe got completely f***ed. All the jobs moved from Southern Europe to Germany, then they realized they did not have enough qualified Germans to do these jobs, and then they asked us to move here and take these jobs.
Since it all started from German arrogance, I really don't feel sorry to see all these foreigners here refusing to learn German and integrate. It's not Southern Europeans exclusively, but they do form the largest group in my experience. I also know a few Scandinavians and Eastern Europeans who refuse to learn German and insist to get by speaking exclusively English.

On the other hand I really love the Swiss way of life, and I would like the Swiss to preserve it, even if it means that the country will lose many jobs that will be moved to Germany.

And BTW, I was exaggerating a bit when I described myself as an arrogant foreigner. I am actually learning German, even at a slow pace, and I don't miss any opportunity to practice (e.g. by being the organizer of the weekly German lunch at the start-up in which I work now.
From August 1 I will be moving to Hamburg for a new job at an ex start-up (a successful one ) and they offer free German classes at the office, which I am planning to attend.
Many thanks for your reply.

Personally, I'd rather a buoyant economy here in Zurich than any preservation of the "Swiss way of life". Buoyant economies typically have open borders and are host to diverse nationalities, some of whom are just there for the cash. To be perfectly honest, if Zurich regressed to the "Swiss way of life" I'd run to the hills. I can't think of anything worse. Hmm, running to the hills would be 100% the wrong direction because that is where the Swiss way of life is strongest. Anyway, you know what I mean.
The following 2 users would like to thank TerryEntoure for this useful post: