View Single Post
Old 22.08.2016, 13:36

Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The point is that they have already appointed their negotiator and they have more experience of trade negotiations than the UK at this stage. This was in response to your question as to how they would negotiate. The Commission is response for the negotiation stage on the EU side and they have already have had several meetings with the member states to get a feel for what will fly.

We already know:
- Spain expects movement on Gibraltar
- Ireland will not accept an international border on the island of Ireland
- Norway will veto a UK membership of EFTA
- Neither France nor Denmark want to agree to anything that would require a referendum

We can expect that the commission's main objective will be to preserve the union and from that point of view I can't see much more that WTO rules coming out of any agreement unless the UK is willing to be very flexible. I had thought EFTA/EEA might having been an option, but with Norway's stance that seems unlikely now.
which sort of ties into my statement that the UK is being underplayed. We know possible facts from the EU side, but we don't know what the UK will do, they are still organising their strategy. For me this is the best way to do it. Trying to intimidate doesn't work. If it continues as it is now with surprising positive news coming out, then the UK position becomes stronger.

Also the fact that came out of the debates that the net result that comes with BREXIT is the status quo, then how can you lose?