View Single Post
Old 22.12.2006, 12:26
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Gav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond reputeGav has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brits leave Blighty in droves

Quote:
DaveA so would you say

UK is not more violent than say CH?

The amount of fights I see on weekends in England is truly depressing

The crime problem in the UK isn't because of a lack of police or police powers, it's down to the fact that increasing numbers of citizens have no respect for the law or for civilised behaviour. This stems back to their upbringings where their parents failed to give their kids a sense of discipline and what is 'wrong' and 'right'.

The police can't act to enforce moral and social values on the populace, all they can do is try to keep a lid on the trouble that results from this situation. The police are there to enforce the law, not to act as nannies or surrogate parents.

Switzerland certainly has a big advantage right now because people there mainly have respect for the law and 'proper' conduct and instil that in their kids. However, it's plain to see that this is slowly but surely slipping (well, it seemed that way to me).

I'd give it another decade, two at the most, before you see the same levels of thuggish, anti-social behaviour in CH that currently exist in the UK. God knows what the UK will look like by then......

Gav