View Single Post
Old 29.08.2016, 21:01
RIP

Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I'm not ignorant. The term is just not in common usage in the UK, even though my brother used it daily in his line of work (solicitor / barrister).

When I was a mod on a US forum, I used to phone my mum regularly to ask when the term meant in the particular context it was being used my the members. Sometimes, she could explain. Sometimes she used to tell me to phone my brother because the context didn't make sense to her.

If a politician had ised the term in one of the televised Brexit debates, half the polulace would have said "WTF?", some would understand, and the remainder would probably argue about the context it was used in.
So, for want of usage on the particular piece of rock you happened to be born and raised on, you want to forbid anyone from any other particular piece of rock using that particular term, accurate as it may be?

Use whichever term you will, the move is still fallacious, regardless of context.