View Single Post
Old 30.08.2016, 19:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 35 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,150 Times in 1,843 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Opticians query - granny glasses

The other lens sticks out more evenly front and back, it's just the way they've set them into the frame I think, rather than for any other reason.

Remember that when lens are ground they're made from discs that are quite a bit wider than the finished frame, then they're cut to fit into the 'hole'. So the larger the frame the more of the curved bit will be used and in really strong lens the visual distortion around the edges will be greater.
Any optician worth their salt should be able to advice you on which frames are suitable for your particular prescription and choice of len... plastic lens for example are thicker than glass, but tends to be lighter as well as cheaper and are almost always used for childrens glasses because of the risk of breaking them.

Sadly +10 does exist....I actually need them to be stronger now but with age I also require different prescriptions for reading and middle distance, triple-focals are almost impossible with lens this thick (as well as obscenely expensive) and due to brain damage that affected my sight I couldn't cope with varifocals.

Saving up to invest in three pairs of specs!