View Single Post
Old 13.09.2016, 09:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 336 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 14,592 Times in 7,493 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. As the title says European Muslims have existed here relatively quietly for a long time. Most of the ones I know (mainly from ex-Yugoslavian countries) don't wear burks, hijabs or burkinis and are not very fundamentalist in their religion.
In some parts of the Balkans most traditional Muslims are actually of Turkish or Tatar ethnical origins, legacy of the Ottoman Empire.
I don't know what's the situ in ex-Yugoslavia, but back home they identify more with an ethnicity/culture than with a religion. They're proud Turks, not proud Muslims. I don't remember the tiniest conflict in those areas that are indeed very multicultural.
There are a lot of differences between the gentle Islam they practice and the religious ethos from other regions, you can't even compare. They were practically "assimilated" into the main culture and are one of the most loyal minorities. (along with the German minority)

Edit: I miss the coffee from "the Turks". :-)

Last edited by greenmount; 13.09.2016 at 10:54.
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: