View Single Post
Old 13.09.2016, 11:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,036 Times in 7,722 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I don't see why they can't negotiate. What they can't do is sign treaties.

So they can theoretically set up and negotiate everything and then invoke article 50 and then sign the treaty.

In fact it would be naive to assume that there isn't already plenty of behind the scenes bartering going on. And the reactions of the likes of Junker show how uncomfortable that is making them.
"I don't see why they can't negotiate."
As an example; Australia’s trade minister Steven Ciobo told Today: “My formal advice is that, and this is from the UK side …, the UK is unable to negotiate or sign an agreement prior to the formal exit from the EU.

“We can certainly have preliminary discussions and that’s part of what I’m doing here this week – preliminary discussions around what a post-Brexit Australia-UK trade deal might look like; Some discussions about what our ambitions and aspirations are, and there’s been good alignment in terms of those conversations.”

Ciobo said the trade deal could only happen “when the time is right”, adding that it might not be for another three years if, as has been suggested, article 50 of the EU treaty is not triggered until 2017.

"So they can theoretically set up and negotiate everything" The basic difficulty is being unable to negotiate certain things before Brexit is settled. For example, will UK stay in the single market and so have access to the existing EU trade agreements or not? This would make a big difference to the shape of any trade deal?
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post: