View Single Post
Old 13.09.2016, 14:12
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 158 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 2,640 Times in 978 Posts
gaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond reputegaburko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
All I was saying is that traditional Muslims from certain regions of the Balkans/Eastern Europe don't (naturally) identify themselves with these Islamic movements, they are rather integrated and modernised.
I completely agree on this. I still remember how during my summer vacations as a kid, we "celebrated" the end of Ramadan which for us meant getting sweets from our neighbors who were Muslim. I also recall seeing them on almost every Christmas celebration congratulating us.

Quote:
View Post
Note that Bulgaria has indeed a large Turkish minority and things might be even more different than back home.
With regards to the Turkish minority in Bulgaria, all that could be said is that their treatment by the state is a shameful part of communist Bulgaria's history. The policy towards them was similar to the apartheid policy towards Blacks in South Africa. The tipping point came when they were forced to change their names which promptly triggered a mass exodus to Turkey. The ones that remained are obviously no longer treated like this, but the bitter memory remains, which explains their antagonistic attitude towards ethnic Bulgarians and why they tend to vote in parliamentary elections for a completely corrupt, but Turkish party. The ones that have moved to Turkey 20 years ago still have their Bulgarian IDs and they use them to vote as well essentially giving the Turkish party a much bigger weight in local politics than they would have otherwise had. This creates a host of political issues,but its for another topic
This user would like to thank gaburko for this useful post: