View Single Post
Old 14.09.2016, 09:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,248 Times in 9,883 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
I beg to differ. Although WW2 was not a religious war, but I think it would be a mistake to say that those involved were "non religious". All sides were engaged in an all out battle with an enemy who was seen as a threat to their world view, and a large part of the rhetoric was at the very least moral, if not explicitly religious. Wherever there is war there will also be righteousness, which is rarely far from "God talk".
I disagree.

During WW2 most of the propganda and thetoric was along the lines of "lets get those huns before they get us" and "let's show them the true Britisg fighting spirit", so all the usual war jingolism. You can find planty of wartime newsreels on youtube full of this type of statment.

The whole "Hitler was the evilest man who ever lived" thing didn't really emerge until after the war was over, as the details of the Holocuast became better known etc.

WW2 at the time and to the common man was not a religious war against the evilest man ever but just a regular war full of regular bog standard jingolism and sanguinity.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: