View Single Post
Old 29.09.2016, 08:19
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 69 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,004 Times in 1,035 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"You must have heard many people say "I love Europe but dislike the EU". " I have but they are wrong.
"They're referring to the EU as the single legal entity" But it is not a single legal entity! There have been several attempts to fix this (like the treaty of Rome) but none were completely ratified.

EU decision-making involves three main institutions:
  • the European Commission which represents the interests of the EU as a whole,
  • the Council of the European Union which represents the individual member countries,
  • the European Parliament, which represents EU citizens and is directly elected by them.

You compare the EU to Manchester United but that is false.
It is more like FIFA but even FIFA is a heirarchy. The EU requires that three different institutions agree on decisions; no one of these can force the other two to agree but each one of these three can block decisions.

So saying "I love Europe but dislike the EU" is nonsense. You could, for example, say I love the Council of Europe and the Europe Parliament but I do not like the European Commission?
Oh for heaven's sake. That's a very silly argument. On that basis, there is no such thing as a single entity in the entire world, is there? The European Commission certainly isn't one as it comprises all those commissioners. And they are made up of different body parts and bit of clothing.... Maybe once we get down to a sub-molecular level we have a single entity?

No. It's totally comprehensible to say "I love Europe but dislike the EU" -- as in fact I have said many times, and will continue to say. Everyone understands that the European Union in this context refers to the organisation and its collective administrative apparatus and mores -- and certainly not the member nations.
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: