View Single Post
Old 29.09.2016, 10:00
Forum Legend

Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
True but I guess it depends on your point of view and how she impacted your own life. Talk about Thatcher pretty much anywhere up north and people will spit since she was instrumental in laying waste to many industries up there and creating a lot of unemployment but she was also got the City buzzing and its financial centre attracting investment and growth.

I come from the north and witnessed the carnage up there so can't really see a place for a Maggie statue. A Farage statue might do better, though, he deals in bandwagon politics so anyone who is pissed off with foreigners, hates the EU, and enjoys a pint would probably welcome it.

I hear that a lot, but what exactly did she do? the industries in the 70's / 80's where in turmoil, strikes, poor quality, expensive eg coal - it was cheaper to buy it and ship it from abroad then use home grown, but the unions wouldn't allow any changes.

I grew up in the 70's (down south admittedly) but near a coal mine, so saw a lot of the stupidity first hand.

I remember the cars my dad had at that time too, british made but rusted / fallen apart when only a few years old, it certainly wasn't a sign of quality having british made on anything at that time.

as far as I can tell all she did was break the unions stronghold, but they where just as bad, if not worse for industry then she ever was.
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post: