View Single Post
Old 07.10.2016, 11:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 411 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 11,021 Times in 5,803 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps, but politics is an art of compromise. It doesn't have to be simply a hard Brexit. I think FMOP was one of the things the EU got right, but I can understand why many don't like it. I'd also like to see the UK remain in the single market. If the EU are sensible with their negotiations, they'd let the UK can remain in the single market whilst allowing them to impose quotas on immigration. This would be a solution that would keep all sides happy, and it's something Remainers should be speaking up for.

The only issue in all this is that the EU isn't sensible.
The UK won't be allowed to cherry-pick. That's the only sensible way for the EU, otherwise every member state would want the same. Whether FMOP is a necessity may be open for debate but as things stand free EEA access without FMOP isn't possible. You probably know Merkel's POV, and Hollande said the same less than a day ago.