View Single Post
Old 12.10.2016, 10:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 446 Times in 384 Posts
Thanked 18,660 Times in 9,873 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Apparently, it's the Saffa term for the UK. Ungrateful buggers, especially when we've given them bar work for years! That remark will get me in sooo much poop with the OH.

Which European court exactly?

You know that is a blanket term that requires absolute definition as some courts are part of the EU and some aren't.

Specifically with regards to pre-Brexit propaganda, it was the ECJ (EU) and ECtHR (non EU) decisions regarding Abu Hamza that stuck in the public craw and consciousness. As it was the latter that repeatedly blocked Hamza's extradition to the US, it was a non EU court decision, but try explaining that to the man on the street!

We have a very recent and fine example of this confusion in the mind of the populous, and how the reporting of this is massively distorted in the media. These stories were published on the same day regarding the same court decision. When I court decision can be reported in such different ways, how is your average joe going to know what to believe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...hter-in-law-d/

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016...-eu-court-says
"Which European court exactly? " I know many people (even here) get confused between the two courts.
I thought it was clear when I wrote "Access to the single market requires acceptance of European court decisions" so I was referring to the ECJ.
The single market and the ECHR are not linked; but maybe I should have also written ECJ.

Anyway my question stands; so which are the ECJ decisions that upset people.

For those at the back of the class, the ECHR (European court of Human rights)is nothing to do with the EU and after Brexit we will still "benefit" from its decisions.

Last edited by marton; 12.10.2016 at 23:12.