View Single Post
Old 12.07.2008, 06:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Quote:
View Post
I'm looking for an attorney who is experienced in swiss banking secrecy; that is to say, someone who can set up a private trust so that assets may not be traced to an american beneficial owner.

The amounts involved are small but substantial (slightly lower than the typical $2M needed to make the expense of a trust worthwhile).

Ideally this would be someone who is able to challenge UBS (or at least fire off a letter of warning) should they decide to comply with the IRS's order to turn over the names of their clients from 2002-2007. However, as I understand it once the EBK makes this decision it is a matter for the criminal courts rather than the civil ones, so this is a long shot. However, the attorney should be knowledgeable enough to explain why this is a bad idea.

I have already retained a US tax attorney to help with the declaration of overseas assets and the filing of amended returns; the issue now is what to do with the money should I decide not to repatriate it. It's not enough money to go to Singapore, and Panama is too sketchy. For obvious reasons Luxembourg and Isle of Man are right out.
If you are worried about UBS turning over historic data then setting up a trust now won't necessarily help.