View Single Post
Old 13.10.2016, 15:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 122 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 11,001 Times in 4,829 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wow, CHF to GBP exchange rate is pretty crazy at the moment...

Quote:
View Post
Agreed, however this does not take away for the fact that the costs are rising and with margins being so tight in the food industry, soon or later the customer will be hit with higher prices. These days even home produced goods involve some imported inputs.
Been saying this to friends in the UK since the referendum was announced. Even said as much on this forum back in May...

Quote:
I'm imagining a entire country going from having Tesco Extra and ASDA Superstores to having Migros in terms of size, stock, variety and prices.
https://www.englishforum.ch/internat...ml#post2588520

Loads of ingredients of UK products are imported and the slump in the value of GBP is Worldwide, so all the prices will have to increase sooner or later. I noticed it myself last month with prices already up on all basic items, and my usual weekend shop was only marginally cheaper than in Switzerland.

What nobody is mentioning at the moment is that store 'own brands' will also be affected once their current contracts with major amnufacturers, like Unilever, expire.

Quote:
Actually manufacturing jobs on average are typically higher payers than service sector jobs.
Too right!

I went from 15yrs in the food production industry to 11yrs in the service industry. 2yrs ago, my former colleagues in food production were on about 20% more than me, and had more access to overtime but were facing redundancy, which finally happened earlier this year.

Weirdly and sadly, in January this year, my former teams in both food production and the service industry were both made redundant.