View Single Post
Old 30.10.2016, 12:19
Forum Legend

Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 22,291 Times in 7,126 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Building a kitchen in a non-living space?

Yes, the pic Helm posted is indeed what we have in the basement, and what I would call a window well. Lets in light, but fully underground.

My musings were really just about whether creating a second cooking space might be possible. Everday cooking would still be done in my primary (tiny, enclosed) kitchen, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have a second kitchen-ish space - second oven, second fridge, workspace, etc. to expand into when needed?

The 'Turkey Fryer' thread brought out some serious nostalgia, I so miss the Thanksgiving dinners of old when I would cook for a crowd of twenty or more. Entertaining the way I'd like to is just not possible here in my tiny kitchen with tiny appliances in my tiny house.

(I've been spending too much time back home; my mother's kitchen seems larger than my entire house.)

The cellar currently has a laundry room (this is where the furnace is also), a wine cellar/storage room, OH's workshop, and a Bastelraum that is currently just piled full of stuff that I really should get rid of.

All rooms in the basement have one window well each, and the whole basement is heated.

The storage space is nice, especially as we have so little in the living spaces - but all it really does is allow me to hang on to stuff I don't need. I wish I could put it to better use.

Maybe I need to re-think the whole house layout... there has to be a way to eke out a few more centimeters of usable space. Or I should say, space useable for the way I'd like to live again.

Thanks for the ideas and advice, folks!
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: