View Single Post
Old 03.11.2016, 15:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 396 Times in 305 Posts
Thanked 16,806 Times in 9,478 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Via Parliament or bypassing Parliament?

Bypassing Parliament is not a good precedent for the future.
Implementing major decisions by the PM alone without Parliamentary review is travelling in a dangerous direction
It is not bypassing Parliament. Parliament/Government called a referendum and should abide by the result. This isn't bypassing anything.

Did Parliament debate what terms we should enter the EU before any negotiations took place? No. The government negotiated and then presented their agreement to Parliament for approval. Exactly the same thing should happen this time. Trigger Article 50, the UK government negotiates an agreement with the EU and then Parliament approves or refuses it.

Quote:
View Post
I'll use the well worn example of hanging. Put to a popular vote, the majority of Brits would support the re-introduction of capital punishment, especially for paedophiles, terrorists etc.. (51% in favour according to a 2010 MORI poll).

Why are we ignoring the will of the people here and not for something which will have a much greater impact on our economy, lives and children's future?

I am just as confused as anyone else which is why I want greater discussion and debate on this issue and not a headlong leap into the unknown. If BREXIT is truly better of us as a nation then I would be fully behind it, who wouldn't want to pull back sovereignty from the EU? But not if it means greater poverty, inequality and wholesale trashing of rights previously enjoyed by the masses.

The cuts and excuses by government are already rolling in.. with BREXIT the convenient scapegoat
The will of the people regarding the reintroduction of capital punishment is different because Parliament dare not give the people a chance to state their wishes via a referendum. Brexit however has had a referendum and the people made it clear what they wanted. Parliament doesn't like referendums precisely because they threaten their sovereignty. Which is also probably why they made it advisory and not binding.