View Single Post
Old 03.11.2016, 20:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 356 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 14,051 Times in 7,731 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes, let's. She won 2 out of 3 rounds of voting, both by wide margins. For the 3rd round the other candidate dropped out citing lack of support from Conservative MPs. If that's not wining a vote I don't know what is.

As for a referendum only being advisory and not binding Parliament has never rejected the results of previous UK/National referendums held. So not only has that set up in the minds of the UK public that a referendum is in fact binding, there is precedence - and I would argue that makes legal precedence too - that Parliament cannot now vote against Brexit.
"If that's not wining a vote I don't know what is." There was no vote! Repeat, no vote! You cannot win a vote that did not exist!

"not only has that set up in the minds of the UK public that a referendum is in fact binding" In the UK our Parliament is sovereign and referendums are not binding in the UK, no extra binding provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation.