View Single Post
Old 03.11.2016, 20:28
Forum Legend

Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,141 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Bollocks!

This would most likely have not been the case if Cameron had stayed in office, because then it would have been a democratically elected PM triggering Article 50. This has mainly come about because, as I keep telling people but they didn't believe me, Theresa disMay IS NOT a democratically elected PM.
The ruling would have been exactly the same and assuming it will be upheld it has major ramifications for democracy in the U.K. going forward.

In parliament of Westminster style democracies PMs are not elected, they are invited to attempt to form a government by the Queen, her representative or in the case Ireland, the president. To the best of my knowledge the only former dominion that requires that the PM be an elected (as opposed to appointed) member of the legislature is Ireland.
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post: