View Single Post
Old 12.11.2016, 14:27
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Wow. What's the 14 billion from? Is that in fees they pay or something? It's an incredible figure!
Yes, it's the fees they pay, but there's also the beneficial impact they have on the local economy whilst they're in the UK. These students are often state sponsored by their own governments, or come from wealthy families.

Just a couple of examples, Edinburgh Uni has a huge foreign student population with their own guarded and gated halls of residence. I've been to a party there and security is way tighter than at any other Uni I've been to.

Manchester Uni's engineering department as almost all foreign students, largely because they were the only ones applying in the 2000's.

My home town college used to be a World centre for mining technology, but I don't believe it still is... We had students from all over the World studying mining, and all the young African guys in town were the sons of very wealthy mining families in Africa. They bought a couple of large houses at the bottom of my street for themselves while they were here, until the BNP petrol bombed the houses and drove them out.