View Single Post
Old 13.11.2016, 12:01
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 10,610 Times in 4,679 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
So their thinking is if we don't get a deal we like we won't go? EU will never put up with that and neither will the British people. Yeah, have a vote on the deal which is effectively what happened this time, but if the answer is no we don't like it we leave with nothing. Trigger Article 50 and we are going out!
No it isn't.

If someone says to you... "Do you want to go on holiday? Two weeks. All expenses paid?"...and you say... "Yes please!"... then that offer turns out to be the first two weeks of December in a caravan in Blackpool with train tickets and a freezer full of ready meals included...I'd rather stay at home.

The British people are a fickle bunch when it comes to getting their own way. The people from my home town are known as Pie Eaters, not because they eat a lot of pies, but because they ate humble pie during the 1920's miners' strike.

What I'm seeing with the people who voted Leave without realising the full consequences and time scale of the process, is a feeling of...
"We should have been out by now!"
"Nobody told us Cameron would step down!"
"Why are prices going up in the shops?"
"Why did my holiday cost so much this time?"
...and most importantly...

"You all bloody lied to us!"

That last point is exactly why we're in this mess in the first place and why Trump is President Elect. Politicians keep reading the mood of the people wrong, and there will be a backlash.

Every Saturday night, British people vote at the press of a button, yet when it comes to the serious stuff, many still (despite the huge turnout) don't make the effort. And make no mistake, for every single person who is angry that we're not already out of Europe, there will be 10 who are livid tonight if Honey G is still in The X Factor. I wish that was a joke, but it isn't.
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post: