View Single Post
Old 02.12.2016, 14:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,115 Times in 9,642 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn't call it a resounding victory for the LibDems, but when the top three candidates were all standing on an anti-Heathrow expansion ticket (and rightly so) the deciding factor was their Brexit stance...or was it?

We all know that Richmond is an affluent area, so would they really put all their faith in an independent candidate over an establishment, party backed candidate?
The establishment Labour party backed candidate lost almost 9% of their votes!
I am sure Brexit was a factor but whether it was the deciding factor I suppose we will never know.
As I have posted before the chances of May holding Maidenhead seat in a future election must be declining; Maidenhead voted Remain and against Heathrow extension.

So Tory majority is now 13 and there are 72 Tory constituencies who voted Remain! May has a difficult path to walk

Maybe we can draw a lesson from the Witney by-election last October which seems to show another big LibDem trend and down trends for Labour and UKIP?

By-election 2016: Witney
Conservative Robert Courts 17,313 45.0 -15.2%
Liberal Democrat Liz Leffman 11,611 30.2 +23.4%

General election
Conservative David Cameron 35,201
Liberal Democrat Andy Graham 3,953

Source