View Single Post
Old 02.12.2016, 14:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 434 Times in 375 Posts
Thanked 18,190 Times in 9,674 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
yes I agree on this one. Its where im from and Im pretty amazed if a broad sample of the local population has had such a sudden change of heart.

That said, I am beginning to wonder what's going to happen now. There are legal challenges, political heavyweights and all sorts of players lining up and what with Boris Johnson and David Davies talking single market access perhaps we will end up staying in, which is a good thing economically, but a bad thing democratically speaking. One of the most fascinating days in the future will arrive if this manages to get turned around because I just can't imagine what will happen. will the people who voted out just shrug their shoulders and say "well, maybe next time" ? will there be tanks on the street ? its quite a wide window of possibilities.
"a bad thing democratically speaking" The basic problem is that the Leave message was "Leave EU" but it was never defined what exactly that meant.
  • Did it mean stop trading with Europe? I doubt it?
  • Did it mean stop immigration? Probably many people thought that.
  • Did it mean stop paying EU and spend the savings in UK? Most people thought that but how practical is it?
  • Did it mean restoring British sovereignty? Probably but what that means is difficult to know; look at the reaction to Parliament voting on invoking Art. 50.
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post: