View Single Post
Old 05.12.2016, 13:23
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,172 Times in 575 Posts
Aeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Just leaving the EU but remaining a member the EEA would be the obvious solution
http://www.businessinsider.com/inter...le-127-2016-12
I agree, but I get the impression that the politics in the British government have become more complex. The Remainers would likely favour this solution, but the more hard line Brexiteers are seeking a complete break from the EU and common market and have been waxing lyrical on the future benefits of breaking away altogether and creating a completely new market (presumably in the Anglo-sphere and/or Commonwealth).

The debate has gone beyond practical economic considerations and appears to be dominated by ideology now - like our little friend here who'd like to see the EU "crash and burn" even if it takes him with it. I don't think there is enough time to move to the latter model without Britain suffering a bit of an economic disaster, but I suspect the Brexiteers are afraid that if they agreed to membership of the EEA in the interim, they'll lose the momentum and they'll end up pulled back into the EU.
The following 3 users would like to thank Aeneas for this useful post: